Thursday, April 23, 2009

When I grow up...

I've been keeping a mental list of things I really want to do/have when I grow up (code for, when I am working and Erik is working and we are a two-income family). Do you keep such lists? Mine includes the following:
  • Taking an art class
  • Begin writing my book
  • Become fluent in Spanish (that would fall under taking a few more classes)
  • Join a book club
  • Watch more movies from our Netflix subscription
  • Get real furniture (and second hand is totally okay, as long as it's real, moderately sustainable furniture)
  • Grow a garden
  • Bring a puppy home
  • Digitize my family's history (this coincides with one of my long term life goals)
  • Be active in my community in some capacity
  • Become much more active in keeping in touch with people in my life
  • Own a treadmill and/or stationary bike
  • Tutor and mentor community youth
  • Develop an incredible collection of art at home that no one else has 
  • Write a family cookbook that explores our history and life milestones
  • Build a nice professional set of clothes. What I have now is nice and appropriate, but I have not shopped for myself in months and I have not invested much effort in building a sustainable, timeless collection
  • Time to visit my friends and family spread throughout the country
What are your grown up aspirations? I like to think I'm not too idealistic, but, what I'd really like is happiness, health, and strong, committed relationships with the people in my life. We've always been a very simple family, and we've never been a family of haves [nor have we been of the have nots, since we've almost always had our basic needs met]. I kind of want to keep it that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment